Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Why Do I Do This To Myself?

I started programming again. Why? Just because I did. I had a goal in mind. Did I reach that goal? Yes and no.

Well, I realize that there are some things I should have done, that I did not. Before, I had the code for making the character look like he's walking separate from the code to actually move him. This is trouble, because when the character is moving against a wall, his feet still move. In a perfect world, that is. This was accomplished in my old program. However, the code to do that is now dependent on the the arrow keys being effective, which, now, when I run into a barrier, they no longer are. This is a problem I must fix.

Also, I am experimenting with different ways to move the character continuously. I have tried several ways, but none seem to work to my liking. I am actually getting an idea right now, so bear with me while I write it down.

I use steps in the X and Y directions to mark movement. These are increased by 8's until the desired goal (+tileSize, -tileSize) is reached. This produces the smooth movement as the character walks. I am thinking of using the flag methods to flag the keys I am pressing down. I am thinking that I can program it to only acknowledge the held key when no other keys are pressed, and also the steps are only divisible by tileSize. That way, it will not continuously read the flagged key and zip my character across the board.

Tomorrow, though. Absolutely no more programming tonight.

Later, fucktards.

No comments: